

Pt. Loma Cluster Schools Foundation
February 4, 2013

Roll call.

Meeting called to order 4:36pm

Introduction of new Correia Principal: Jonathan McDade from Ralph Dailard Elementary School
Gil Gutierrez gave a small introduction and background on the hurried process.

Jonathan: All of his time as an Elementary School teacher, worked in a juvenile justice center for kids in Camden, NJ.

Building community, strong bonds, with schools in the cluster. Building a vision for the Pt. Loma community.

Marvin: Dailard website has a great idea with links to kid-related sites.

Jonathan: Gifted students; with more and more diversity models we are looking to see how we approach kids at a gifted and talented level. It's a Mastery Club for kids – it can work at any school, in any model, particularly at our competitor school here in Pt. Loma, High Tech High . **See agenda for more information.

Scott Barnett:

Thank you to all the parents and teachers for continuing to come out and be involved. You as a cluster are far more consistent and organized.

Budget update: Essentially, before the Gov. draft budget came out. We're facing an \$80-\$90mil budget shortfall. Gov. budget will cut that by \$40mil. The BOE wants to sell property for a one-time income, bringing down the remainder of the \$50mil budget deficit.

The BOE is thinking more across the board cuts, selling land, which leads to a loss of revenue (two sites are bringing in more than \$2mil right now); \$30mil from attrition – employees retiring, leaves of absences.

Prop Z: \$2.8billion school bond. Eliminate deferred maintenance for the rest of the year. All Principals and SSCs go through your priorities and send Scott your top three. We should have the money by Spring, and we want to make sure we focus that money on the top priorities.

As a cluster, we decided on the Correia Sports Field, (including lights) student use is primary and community use is secondary. Two to three years away from construction. This is a top priority.

PLHS is also priority, lights on the fields, making room for parking, which is a large issue for the school and the community.

For the lights, we have the environmental review process going, and getting the ball rolling.

Laura: On the Correia fields, does that include any buildings?

Barnett: A bathroom facility.

Andrea Justus: I heard there'd be a tutoring building.

Barnett: I haven't looked, but it can be expanded, modified, but there are parking issues, ground slope issues and we have to get the neighborhood involved.

Sabrina Busselt-Carlton: How much money will we have?

Barnett: Well, we're not sure. The reality is that I think we'll know, after the BOE meeting tomorrow night when the board acts.

Safety will be a focus, and will likely be the focus of many principals. Prop S gave us \$40million for technology upgrades. Can we cut down cost by allowing children to bring their own tech (net book, iPad, etc.) to school with them.

There are a lot of moving pieces.

Because Prop Z raised taxes, we're looking at more money down the line. It's very complex.

Michelle: Is it smart to say we have \$10mil for the Correia fields when we don't really know how much money we're getting and whether or not it will affect the earmark?

Barnett: Well, we won't let \$10mil sit in the bank and not use it for building projects. It's a timeline issue. This was a priority for this cluster so it's a priority to me.

Melinda: What is going on with the David Wells field at Dana?

Barnett: We are currently trying to work out the shared use issue. There have been some challenges and misuses there, but the city b

Title I allocation formula: The BOE said they wouldn't change the formula. Now, there could still be a cut (\$4-6mil), we'll see.

Marvin: Did I hear that we're getting some cell towers that will bring in revenue for the district? Half a million dollars.

Barnett: I didn't see that line item; but the previous board was against it. I'd like to look at a broader, district-wide air space.

Marvin: School closures?

Barnett: No, currently there are no school closures listed. I personally think that this district is too large to sustain all of the schools we currently have, but this BOE isn't interested.

Broader discussion is looking at the age of our schools, we want to do a thorough, year-long review of all of our properties and facilities and survey them. I think we don't really know where our property lines are. Barrera and I will be bringing this up on the 12th. If we have encroachments, we can charge rent. We also want to look at, in some clusters, where we can save \$20mil at two Elem. schools by consolidating certain schools. The consolidation conversation will be over time and it'll likely be over a period of time. In Kerney Mesa we can close two middle schools at opposite sides of the boundaru

Kirsten: What about the idea of neighborhood schools?

Barnett: We have 50,000 kids in this district that don't go to their in-boundary school. Part of Prop Z is to upgrade and update neighborhood schools. SD High is bursting at the seams and we can't build anything new. From now on, those who want to go to an out-of-neighborhood school, will have to first visit their neighborhood school.

By-Laws:

ARTICLE 2, Purposes, Sec. 2.1: the only change in this section is to remove "Barnard Elementary School" from the list of schools.

ARTICLE 4, Board of Directors:

Sec. 4.1: change the number of Board of Directors from "not less than twenty (20) members and not more than thirty five (35) Members," to "not less than eighteen (18) members and not more than forty (40) Members,"

Sec 4.3.1.1: remove "Barnard Elementary School" from the list of schools allowing for board members

Sec. 4.3.1.2: change "2 members of the Board of directors shall be district administrative staff" to "2 members of the Board of Directors may be district administrative staff."

Sec. 4.3.1.3: change "2 members of the Board of Directors shall be student liaisons (student liaisons shall be non-voting members)" to "2 members of the Board of Directors may be student liaisons (student liaisons shall be non-voting members)"

Marvin: We can also add something that says up to two former board members may be on the Board of Directors, but shall not be voting members.

Melinda: Should we also make a note that each school should have equal representation.

Alexia: The concern was more about the number of Board members, we can say "Maximum of 2 parents, 2 staff for each school and a max of 2 former officers.

Discussion: Voting, students whether or not they can vote, seniors, juniors, etc. District staff don't vote. Adding students and District staff should have voting rights.

Students would have to be part of the board, decided on, just as they do the parents.

Marvin: Question to Matt about weighted voting for the high school, allowing the student reps to vote.

Matt: Weighted voting rights is tricky.

Discussion: Should we allow students from each school? What about just from Correia and Pt. Loma High.

Gil: A suggestion would be to have a high school ASB member or student council member, they can serve in an advisory position.

Bobbie: It would need to be a set position, it looks better on college applications; colleges want to see kids with a passion for something and some commitment.

Alexia: We'll be adding another section to the by-laws "Section 4.3.1.4 2 members of the Board shall be

Gil: I would also suggest that we leave the District administrator at one.

Laura: All those in favor...

Discussion: Table the vote until there are more clearly made amendments to the by-laws done by Alexia.

MOTION: *Tabled, due to discussion*

Marvin: Because we are a 501c3 we have to file our

Laura: April 18th, we are having a fundraiser at a store called C-wonder, it sells handbags, home goods, etc. They are kicking 10% back to our cluster on that night. They are offering champagne, shopping!

High school boosters said that the cluster can take on the logo wear of Little Pointers, Future Pointers. There is an event coming up in May, where all the elementary schools are invited to a track and field day at the high school. My suggestion is to have the logo-wear by that night, so we can sell it.

Bobbie: I like, "I just want to be a Pointer."

Laura: Funds from the sale of logo-wear will come back to the cluster, and the logo-wear will be purchased out of Cluster Foundation funds.

What are we fundraising for? Cost of running our 501c3.

Also hoping to get vertical Professional Development for our teachers, having the principals decide.

What areas would you like to work on?

Flamingoed? There is a fundraiser that involves a flamingo. I was recently flamingoed, someone put a ton of flamingoes on my front lawn and was given an envelope in which to put a donation. This is for Sacred Heart. Is this something we'd like to work on.

No jog-a-thon?!?! Some woman is going through and saying that...

Gil: This came up from a community complaint that we aren't following district procedures on fundraising. There is specific language in the Ed Code that says that we aren't allowed to fundraise during instructional time.

A memo has just come out for the principals. Legal is looking into it. At the last meeting the principals were told no more jog-a-thons.

Kate: What defines a fundraiser?

Gil: Principals have to consult with legal before they do anything, to get the proper language.

Matt: My advice would be to ask the district specifically *how to do it*, the Jog-a-thons. Let them reply back to you specifically.

Gil: You'd go through me and I'd talk to Larry Shenke about it.

Barnett: There are a lot of things I've seen we do here in the district that I'm not too sure about. I think it's something we should look into, and I will too. There may still be a way to do it.

Gil: For your Prop Z, go to Facilities and Management to see what is on your Prop S list so you can decide what to put on that Prop Z list. And send those to me and I'll make sure they get taken care of. Departments > Prop Z > Facilities Planning has the maintenance list.

John: It also shows the time line for things to be done.

Marvin – VAPA

District got a \$5mil grant for VAPA. It's important that each school have a rep to make sure things don't get overlooked.

Michelle – Safety

PLHS qualified for the stop sign, but not the traffic signal (a pedestrian cross-walk). We'll try to get out there on another busy night to see if we can re-qualify for the pedestrian signal. What they are looking at is at Chatsworth and Zola, making a three-way stop.

Bobbie: The stop sign will just mess us up.

Michelle: I noticed that they didn't change the timing for the light.

At Orchard and Catalina, there was a complaint from a parent (who Choices their kids in), that was loud enough, got the Town Council involved and they are assessing whether or not they need a stop sign.

Sandy: We were told the stop sign was a no-go and that we'd be getting our lights there to flash when people cross. Gina Schneider, at Kevin Faulkner's office told us that the stop sign was dead.

Michelle: No, they're still working on the stop sign.

Nicole Burgess: The stop sign is the preferred path for the community.

Michelle: Reuben Littlejohn and I were talking at the last safety meeting at Loma Portal, several principals expressed an interest in getting together to discuss their safety plans. Nestor has offered to host a safety plan meeting for the principals. Reuben said we're a leader in the district as a cluster for safety. The ideas Margaret Johnson came up with, he thought were things that could be done district-wide. They are working on a date.

Common Core State Standards:

Sandy McClure

Where Elementary schools are headed for the CCSS/goals: We're focusing on non-fiction writing. They are not just writing about cheetahs, they are coming up with thesis statements and making supporting – statements. We have call to action writing and expository writing. Providing subs is a great idea to let our teachers come together to discuss more ideas. Also getting our parents involved, and pulling from their ideas, a parent institute. Including our community in the process.

Laura: Would this be extending to our middle schools as well?

Sandy: It is, really, already.

We want to understand as well, where the kids are headed. 5th grade and above is more algebraic writing, math related.

Title I

Matt's suggestion is to create a work group involving the Title I conversation.

Jack: Charter update

Teachers interested in finding out about a charter change, they've been to SDSU's school of education. They want to see what we can get on paper, not necessarily to write a charter, but to see something on paper.

Meeting adjourned: 6:16pm